Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Regret

Since our main assignment right now is our "Defining moment" paper, my energy and thoughts have been focussed on that. It has kind of led me to think about another question to think about as well. While going back through the memories, for some reason I began asking myself, "Do I regret anything?"
It's kind of a big question because yeah, I regret things, but at the same time I don't regret having them. What I'm trying to say is that I have made mistakes and did the wrong things, but I am glad that I did them. It's because if I never made those mistakes, I might not be where I am today. Everything in our lives has a purpose and every little things shapes us into the person we are. This can sort of tie into a defining moment, but one of my regrets is not cherishing and fully living every moment. I just assume that there will be more moments like that one in the future, and in the back of my mind, expect everything to be the same. What I haven't realized is that things will not always be the same. People change, situations become different and more complicated, and the things we wanted to relive don't come around again. Making this mistake has caused me to miss a lot of fun things in life.
One of my favorite lines from the movie/musical, "Rent", is "Forget regret, or life is yours to miss". It just stood out to me and made me take a minute to really think it through, only to realize that it is totally true. If you live life constantly watching what you do, making sure that you won't regret anything, you will end up not living your life at all. I'm not saying to go out and do careless things, but if you are so caught up with making sure you don't, "life is yours to miss". And if you think about it, regrets are something in the past. It's not worth pondering and worrying about forever. All you can do is take those regrets in life, and learn from them.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

"Without the moment to regret, you'll never get to learn the lesson to be taught."-someone said that.