Thursday, March 8, 2007

Boys Will Be Boys

I never really understood what this meant until this past weekend. My nine year old cousin had a party with a few close friends at Bellows and stayed overnight in one of the cabbins. All the parents of the boys who were invited came for dinner, so my dad volunteered to pick up the food and take it over. Aunty asked me if I wanted to come for dinner too (not knowing what I was getting myself into and unable to turn down food), I said ok.
As I walked in and out of the cabbin off loading the food, all the boys and their parents were sitting infront of the tv, just watching cartoons. I thought, wow these boys are really well behaved, but then my dad told me, "Aunty sure has her hands full." I didn't know what he meant until it was time to eat.
"Come on boys, wash your hands," one of the moms tell them. They all slowly peel their eyes away from the tv. Dinner was a fast one, for once they had eaten, they were full of energy again. Some were eating more food, a couple were fighting in the bedroom, and my cousin was smashing bugs on the wall, with the rest of them cheering him on. It was crazy. Each parent had to literally track down their kid and get them ready for the cake. Once the candles were lit, the singing began. When it was time to blow out the candles, my cousin went wild. Instead of blowing the candles out, he started to spray them out. And to add to it all, the candles were trick candles, so when they wouldn't burn out, all of his friends started to help him. I was a little scared to eat the cake after it had gone through all of that, for I could assume that there was another layer of "frosting" on it.
When it was time to open gifts, they all gathered around and watched as each present was opened. When my cousin was faced with a Macy's box, he put it on the side without even opening it and said that it was only clothes. Turns out it wasn't only clothes, but filled with fishing stuff, things I didn't even know what they were. At the end, it turned into a wrapping paper fight, then a basketball game, then a leave it to the parents to clean up game.
Later that night, they went out in the back and were toasting marshmallows. I am glad that there were parents watching them otherwise the backyard might have gone into flames. As the time passed by, I thought they would all get tired and want to go to sleep, but I was wrong. The kept going and going, yelling and fighting. I finally had to teach them a card game to settle them down, but they would still yell when they lost. One of the boys had brought a scary stories book so they were reading for a good fifteen minutes. During one of the stories, my sister's friend (who also came for dinner) started to knock on the wall to scare the them. At first, it got their attention but then one of the boys saw who was knocking. So then he started to knock on the wall and then before long, they all started knocking. It was kind of funny until my dad said that there were people on the other side of the wall, for two cabbins are connected.
They all finally went to sleep at around 11:30. On the way home, my dad told me again, "Aunty sure has her hands full", then I passed out in the passenger seat.

No comments: